Networking is not hard. Many people think it is because they tell themselves that, but it’s really not when you are prepared and have experience in it. The following tips will help you network like a pro right from the start.
- Have fun, but don’t have too much fun. Networking events are social events, so you should have fun with them. You shouldn’t drink too much though because then you may act inappropriately and that won’t leave a good lasting impression. Have a drink or maybe two depending on how you handle it, and just relax.
- Prepare for the networking event by thinking about what you would like to discuss with people. You should want to learn about people’s businesses, so focus on that first. Then you should think about what you want to say about your business because that will come up eventually.
- Mingle as much as possible. It won’t be a successful networking event if you just stand in the corner. Walk around, extend your hand and meet people.
- Listen more than you speak. Don’t dominate every conversation. Ask questions and then actively listen to what the person is saying. You can learn a lot about a person, how you can help him, and what he can do for you in just a few minutes of listening.
- Have your business cards ready. You don’t want to leave someone with no way for him to contact you after the networking event. Make sure your business card includes a phone number, email address, website URL, and other information to contact you to make it convenient for people.
- Don’t forget to smile. It’s hard when you’re nervous, but try to fake it. You are more approachable when you smile. People think you’re welcoming them because you seem warm when you smile. Just don’t end up with a permanent smile the whole time. As you start talking to someone, it’s okay to relax your face and exhibit appropriate facial expressions for what the person is saying to you.
With these 6 tips on rocking a networking event, you will find that it goes much easier for you. Just go and have a good time meeting people. Before you know it, you’ll start to get the hang of it and there won’t be anything holding you back.
What other tips do you have for our community? What’s your trick to rocking a networking event? Let us know in the comments!
Image courtesy of Master Isolated Images from FreeDigitalPhotos.net